Our Most Popular Database Blog Posts in 2017
As we wrap up our last blog of 2017 we wanted to reflect on what content we have been creating that’s been resonating and generating the most interest with our readers. We will continue to deliver the best technical content we can for MySQL, Galera Cluster, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, and MongoDB in 2018.
Here is some of our most popular content from 2017…
Top Database Blogs for 2017
- MySQL on Docker: There are four blogs on this topic which consistently show up in top tens reports but “MySQL Docker Containers: Understanding the Basics” takes the crown. This is the first in our MySQL on Docker blog series and it discusses what a database container is and some tips for getting started with this booming new technology.
- Installing Kubernetes Cluster with 3 Minions on CentOS 7 to Manage Pods and Services: This “how-to” blog provides step-by-step instructions on how to deploy on CentOS 7 and also provides a basic understanding of the components. It goes through the process of setting up a Kubernetes Master and Minions (nodes) and concludes with creating pods and services.
- How to Bootstrap MySQL or MariaDB Galera Cluster: This blog details how to start MySQL Galera Cluster or MariaDB Cluster, which is different than the way you do it for MySQL server or MySQL Cluster. Called a “cluster bootstrap” this process is an initial setup to introduce a database node as a primary component.
- 9 Tips for Going in Production with Galera Cluster for MySQL: A blog that was later turned into a webinar, this “how to” post covers nine tips to make sure you’re ready for production before you go live.
- How to Set Up Asynchronous Replication from Galera Cluster to Standalone MySQL server with GTID: This blog shows how to utilize GTID to enable hybrid replication (combining Galera and Asynchronous MySQL Replication in the same setup).
- Scaling WordPress and MySQL on Multiple Servers for Performance: This blog details how to combine technologies like Percona XtraDB Cluster, GlusterFS, Apache with load balancing to ensure HA WordPress setup.
- Avoiding Deadlocks in Galera – Setup HAProxy for Single-Node Writes and Multi-node Reads: While HAProxy is not fully deployed and configurable inside of ClusterControl this blog details how to avoid common challenges when using the technology with Galera Cluster.
- Understanding What Has Changed Between MySQL 5.6 and 5.7 Before Upgrading: The newest version of MySQL was released back in 2015 but it is still being upgraded across many systems and this blog details all the changes that occured. It is also a except from our very popular Migrating to MySQL 5.7 Whitepaper.
- How to Avoid SST When Adding a New Node to Galera Cluster for MySQL or MariaDB: This blog details how to avoid State Snapshot Transfer (SST) for MySQL Galera Setups when adding additional nodes to your setup.
- MySQL Load Balancing with ProxySQL Overview: ProxySQL was one of our major focuses for ClusterControl this year so it’s exciting to see an overview of this exciting new technology making our top list. While this blog explains manual deployment it is now completely integrated in the ClusterControl GUI.
Top Blogs by Technology
While MySQL and MySQL Galera Cluster dominate our most popular content we blog about a lot of different technologies and methodologies on the Severalnines blog. Here are some of the most popular blogs in 2017 for non-MySQL topics.
- Top MongoDB Blog – High Availability Log Processing with Graylog, MongoDB and Elasticsearch: Graylog is an open-source log management tool and this blog details how you can use it in conjunction with MongoDB, Elasticsearch and ClusterControl.
- Top PostgreSQL Blog – How to Setup Streaming Replication for High Availability: This “how to” blog lets you know step-by-step how to deploy streaming replication for PostgreSQL including using ClusterControl to add nodes.
- Top DevOps Blog – DevOps Considerations for Production-ready Database Deployments: If you are a DevOps professional and have suddenly found yourself responsible for the database environments in your setup this blog is key to detailing what you need to know to effectively achieve high availability and ensure your environment operates correctly.
- Top ClusterControl Blog – How to Deploy and Manage Multi-Master Replication Setups with ClusterControl 1.4: This blog details the new deployment wizard that was released in ClusterControl 1.4. With this new wizard you can easily deploy and configure a variety of open source database technologies including Master-Master replication topologies.
- Top NinesControl Blog – Deploying and Monitoring MySQL and MongoDB Clusters in the Cloud with NinesControl: In this blog we detail the deployment and monitoring features found in NinesControl, a system to easily deploy open sources databases to the cloud of your choice.
If there are some blog topics you would like us to cover in 2018 please list them in the comments below.
Subscribe to get our best and freshest content