Today we’re happy to tell you about our release of ClusterControl for MongoDB, which completes our vision to let you fully manage MongoDB whether on premise or in the cloud. Our team has spent the last year developing a full array of expanded features for MongoDB to provide developers and DBAs an alternative system with which to securely deploy and manage their open source database infrastructures.
The ransom hack that’s been extensively covered in the press recently has shown a vulnerability in default deployments of MongoDB. For while it’s easy enough to get started with MongoDB, once installed, a good bit of manual configuration is needed; which is where security issues crept in. ClusterControl solves this for you by automatically providing the security you need to stay protected.
ClusterControl is used by enterprises with mission-critical environments worldwide, so you know you can depend on it for security and stability for your MongoDB infrastructures. And what’s more, it provides comparable functionality to existing ops managers at half the price.
ClusterControl offers a rich set of features to securely deploy, monitor, manage and scale your MongoDB databases, including the following top 9 highlights.
- Single Interface: ClusterControl provides one single interface to automate your mixed MongoDB, MySQL, and PostgreSQL database environments.
- Easy Deployment: You can now automatically and securely deploy sharded MongoDB clusters or Replica Sets with ClusterControl’s free community version; as well as automatically convert a Replica Set into a sharded cluster if that’s required.
- Advanced Security: ClusterControl removes human error and provides access to a suite of security features automatically protecting your databases from hacks and other threats.
- Monitoring: ClusterControl provides a unified view of all sharded environments across your data centers and lets you drill down into individual nodes.
- Scaling: Easily add and remove nodes, resize instances, and clone your production clusters with ClusterControl.
- Management: ClusterControl provides management features that automatically repair and recover broken nodes, and test and automate upgrades.
- Consistent Backups of Sharded Clusters: Using the Percona MongoDB Consistent Backup tool, ClusterControl allows you to make consistent snapshots of your MongoDB sharded clusters.
- Advisors: ClusterControl’s library of Advisors allows you to extend the features of ClusterControl to add even more MongoDB management functionality.
- Developer Studio: The ClusterControl Developer Studio lets you customize your own MongoDB deployment to enable you to solve your unique problems.
View release details and resources
On MongoDB & Sharded clusters
Extending our support for MongoDB, the rising star in the open source database world, has brought sharded clusters in addition to replica sets. This meant we had to retrieve more metrics to our monitoring, add advisors and provide consistent backups for sharding. As a result, you can now convert a ReplicaSet cluster to a sharded cluster, add or remove shards from a sharded cluster as well as add Mongos/routers to a sharded cluster.
On the new Severalnines Database Advisors for MongoDB
Advisors are mini-programs for specific database issues and we’ve added three new advisors for MongoDB in the latest ClusterControl release. The first one calculates the replication window, the second watches over the replication window, and the third checks for un-sharded databases/collections. In addition to this, we’ve also added a generic disk advisor. This advisor verifies if any optimizations can be done, like noatime and noop I/O scheduling, on the data disk that is being used for storage.
We encourage you to test ClusterControl and provide us with your feedback. If you’d like a demo, feel free to request one.
Thank you for your ongoing support, and happy clustering!
PS.: For additional tips & tricks, follow our blog: https://severalnines.com/blog/